Saturday 18 July 2009

The Northampton & Lamport Railway

Pitsford and Brampton my arse. This is Little Bowden Crossing signal box.It second-hand to stand at the end of my street and, though it had gone by the time it had moved here, the rails were still in the street where the level journey had been. I can still hear the sound cars complete rattling over them in my mind's ear.This afternoon I visited the Northampton & Lamport Railway, where the fight has been relocated and renamed. They have a mile or consequently of track to the south of Brixworth and, as their name suggests, plans to extend it along the route of the former Market Harborough to Northampton line.To my surprise it was not open to the public on a Saturday in July, but it does open on Sundays and there are a couple of weekend events coming up. A Vintage Gathering on 25/26 July and Ivor the Engine on 1/2 August.And perhaps the absence of trains in vapour and volunteers complete things easier for the curious photographer? The Lamport & Northampton has a agreeable selection of vapour and diesel locomotives and rolling stock.As I wrote last week, the route of this old railway is now the occupied by the Brampton Valley Way - a footpath and series path. But the railway seems to coexist amicably with it - a lesson to people who oppose railway reopenings somewhere else when the trackbed is now a series path.The old stationmaster's house at Pitsford and Brampton has been rehabilitated into a pub called the Brampton Halt. I found it astonishingly charmless and headed for the Spencer Arms up the street at Chapel Brampton.That is Spencer has in Lady Di - the family seat of Althorp (even the Spencers have now known up pronouncing it All-trup) is only a couple of miles away.When I came out there was a trap with two grooms trotting past. I assumed they were on their way to a wedding, but maybe life in Spencer country is always like this?
Watch Live TV on your Laptop or Desktop PC!

No comments:

Post a Comment